August 8, 2014
Fixing For Our Future Presentation
A number of facilities meetings have occurred since the bond was passed on November 5. Additional information is provided on this page. Please note that all timelines and dates are projections.
Architectural Designs of Projects at Simley High School and Salem Hills Elementary
- Plans are currently being developed to modify access to each school in a way that maximizes opportunities to manage building access.
- The district will use bond proceeds to build secure vestibules at the main entrances to Salem Hills Elementary and Simley High School. This work will be incorporated into the remodeling of the office space at Salem Hills and relocation of the main office at Simley.
- Engineers are meeting with principals and surveying all main entrances at school sites. Plans will be presented that incorporate electronic access, buzzer entries and card readers. Secure entrances will assist in providing a safer environment for students and staff.
Simley High School
Beginning in late summer of 2014, construction fencing will be placed in the Simley parking lot to prepare for construction of the Performing Arts Center and other spaces located near the front of Simley. Parking will be extended east into the grassy area near the district office. Students who park in the student lot will continue to enter the building through the doors closest to the student lot. One door will remain open at Simley's main entrance, but it will be used exclusively for students who walk to and from school. The student drop-off area will be temporarily relocated to the east of the high school at door O, near community education and Cahill Court. The bus drive area in the rear of the building will operate normally and must remain clear of other vehicle traffic.
- Design for remodeling of existing Simley spaces will commence in September 2014.
Performing Arts, Music, Band and Office
- Simley staff are working with the architects to develop ideas regarding the needs for performing arts, choir and band spaces. Designs and drawings will follow.
- Simley staff are working with the architects to develop ideas regarding the needs for the layout and flow of the main office space and secured entrance. Designs and drawings will follow.
DRAFT Performing Arts Center Design
Artist Rendering of Simley High School Front Entrance
- Athletic staff and Simley administration have been working with architectural and engineering staff to develop the details of the track and stadium renovations.
- The athletic director has been working with engineers and turf specialists to develop the bid specifications for the field turf. The overall design of the track and field needed for bid specs is nearing completion. The committee committed to have the water and sewer lines for a future concession stand included as an alternate bid package 1 - athletics fields.
- No spring activities will take place on the track or turf. Construction will begin as soon as the ground is ready with a projected date of completion of August 11, 2014.
Slideshow of Track and Field (updated 8.1.14)
Salem Hills Elementary School
- The Committee has reviewed designs of the new media space, the plans for the remodeled IMC space, and the office space. This work will go to bid April 3, 2014. The work will begin as soon as school concludes this year in June 2014.
- The design of the new media space reflects areas for Salem Hills media staff to work with students, classroom teachers and other staff to work with students, and student lead and independent work space.
- The current Salem Hills media center will be remodeled to create space for specialists who are currently located in a shared classroom or other spaces in the building. The space will assist building staff in serving the needs of a dynamic student population. The space will include areas for English Language learners, therapists, and resource teachers as well as a quiet area for students with varying characteristics. Remodeling of this space as a "suite" for specialists will allow the building to reclaim general classrooms for additional sections of students at Salem Hills while creating better spaces to meet the needs of all.
- The district will be doing several deferred maintenance projects at Salem Hills. These projects are covered by bond proceeds, but district staff take care of details, permits, bids or quotes, work completion, warranties, and so forth. The committee received a list of projects that the district will take care of completing. Within Salem Hills there are 11 classrooms that are original or near-original construction that were previously identified for upgrades with bond proceeds. Within those spaces the district will identify what is needed in each and complete the work within the scope of the budget. Budgeted work may include the following: Cabinetry upgrades, classroom door and frame replacements, interior painting, interior sand blasting to remove old paints, locker painting or changes, ceiling work, removal of old cabinet unit heaters, installation of a new public address system, plumbing/sink/bubbler replacement or repair, perimeter radiation repair or replacement, additional electrical receptacles, and exterior tuck pointing.
- Additional deferred maintenance of required code upgrades for toilet rooms/toilet room changes, changing the exterior fascia, upgrading exterior window sills, and a new sign at Babcock Trail will be completed. This work will be under the direction of the architect and much of it will be placed into the other bid package.
DRAFT Salem Hills Improvements Design - (4 Pages)
Slideshow of Salem Hills Construction (updated 8.8.14)
- Re-roofing projects will continue in the spring when weather is suitable.
- Window plans are complete. It was determined that all window replacements would be fixed with integral blinds. The lowest bid from S & J Contracting has been accepted and materials will be ordered immediately and delivered to sites in time for summer 2014. This bid applies to the oldest windows at Simley High School, Pine Bend Elementary, and Hilltop Elementary.
- The oldest windows at Salem Hills Elementary will be included in the bid packages for the Salem Hills remodel.
- The architects, engineers and the district are assembling the details and plans for upgrades to the ventilation system at Pine Bend and Salem Hills Elementary. The project will include replacement of the oldest equipment and addition of new dehumidification equipment.
HVAC Design - (2 Pages)
Early Learning Center
Construction on the Early Learning Center at the Hilltop Elementary site is on schedule. The groundwork is complete. The piping and heating installation and tie in to Hilltop is well underway.
As a reminder, the project is funded through the Facility Lease Program using dollars that were used to rent space at Family Connections for many years. Currently, the District is using the Facility Lease dollars to rent space at the Buckley site near Hilltop until construction is completed.
Inver Grove Heights Community Schools will own the new building after 15 years.
Provided construction proceeds as expected, the new Early Learning Center is scheduled to be completed in late May 2014.
Artist Rendering of Inver Grove Heights Early Learning Center
Slideshow of Early Learning Center Excavation
Slideshow of Early Learning Center Construction