The Boys to Men Program was started in 2014 by Assistant Principal, Quennel Cooper. It serves as a way for students to build upon their leadership and confidence. The group meets the first Tuesday of each month in a shirt and tie, which are a requirement at each meeting.
During each meeting, the Boys to Men group learns about goal setting, building self-esteem, appearance, and other topics.
Guest speakers often stop by to share their stories and experiences with the group. This year, the speakers have included:
• Dr. Keith Brooks, Professor at Bethel University
• Marcus Freeman, Assistant Principal at Ramsey Middle School and former NFL player
• Sean Lumpkin, Business Management and former NFL player
• Dr. Greg Kervalet, Senior Group Manager at Target
• Rico Bohren, Dean of Students at Simley High School
• Rex King, Simley High School Football Coach
• Rep. Joe Atkins, Minnesota House of Representatives
• Mike Dobesh, Assistant Chief of Richfield Fire
• Orlando Zabala, Richfield Police Officer
• Jason Voss, Assistant Principal, IGH Middle School
• Mr. Cooper, himself.
The program started with 9 and has grown to 25 gentlemen in this first
year. Almost all in the program have responsibilities around the school
such as helping with younger students, school assemblies, and becoming
bus patrols or hallway monitors.
For more information, please contact:
Quennel Cooper, Assistant Principal
Hilltop Elementary Boys to Men Program from ISD 199 on Vimeo.